Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taking Recycling to New Heights

Well, ladies and gentlemen, the forecast will not be calling for springtime deck parties or barbeques anytime soon.  I'd hate to jinx myself and give the summer forecast too, so I'll side on the optimistic and leave it alone.  Why the doom and gloom report?  Drum roll, please.

We no longer have a deck attached to the back of our house.



It now resides in two piles:  one pile of timbers too rotten to reuse, and another pile stacked neatly with posts and beams that my husband hopes to make into a fence.  How quaint.  This little hippy - smile - is changing the world, one person at a time.  All of my years of digging in the trash to retrieve coke cans and water bottles, yelling at my husband when I catch him in the act of throwing said items away, and generally waving my hippy flag proudly in front of him have finally paid off.  My husband has taken recycling to the extreme, and painstakingly removed board by board from our rotten and dilapitated deck, storing nails in a large tin, and separated the reusable from the not so reusable.  It pleases me to no end that 1) my husband is handy like that and 2) he has more patience than an audience at a snail race.  It took him a few days to remove what would have taken others mere hours to sledge hammer their way through the crumbling pieces. 



Am I proud?  I'm positively beaming.

As for the doors on the back of our house that beforehand so conveniently led directly onto the deck now open to nothing but air.  I've considered selling tickets to our show, so that everyone can experience the mystery of the doors that lead nowhere.  The new deck will hopefully be complete before the bulk of summer is over, and I'm so excited for it because the plans that Justin has drawn out look wonderful.  It will still be a simple deck by design, but it will be able to safely hold more than two of us at a time. 

Oh, and by the way, nothing is scarier than an owl flying into your window in the middle of the night.  Apparently lights are attractive to screech owls.  As one of my good friends put it, it means I'm going to Hogwarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment