Saturday, May 4, 2013

Whole30: 2.4

Friday was day 4.  It's Saturday morning, so I thought I'd check in with my meals :)

Sometimes, when you do a Whole30, you tend to eat like a craving pregnant woman (or so I've found).   Like this morning, for example.  I'm breakfasting on leftovers from dinner.  Cereal?  Meh.  Donuts?  Who needs em?  Those things are NOT fuel...  No wonder people feel like they NEED coffee or a soda to make it through the day.  Pumping so much unnecessary sugar into your body first thing in the morning will overload anyone's system, causing them to feel even more sluggish than they were when they first woke up.  That being said, I'm still not giving myself enough time in the morning to really fuel myself the way I should either... Until this morning.

Friday's Food (Fuel) Run Down:

Breakfast - Apple

Lunch - Chicken thigh and the rest of the cabbage

Dinner - Italian pork chops and Spaghetti Squash with my own homemade tomato sauce

You heard me.  Homemade tomato sauce.  I haven't had tomato sauce from a jar in six months.  Making your own really isn't too difficult.  I tweak it a little each time I make it, and sometimes (like last night, I get lazy and just toss a bunch of it together with little love).

The best way I've found to make it (to feed 2 with some leftovers):
6 large tomatoes
Chopped mushrooms
Diced onion (usually 1/2 of one large onion, or a whole small onion)
Diced garlic
Tomato Paste (I use organic in a jar, no additives whatsoever)
Italian spices (I apply liberally)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Sometimes I get inventive and add other things.

I boil the tomatoes til the skins start to split.  In another pan, I saute the onions and garlic in some olive oil.  Once the onions are tender, I throw in the mushrooms.  I drain the tomatoes and peel them (yes, I no longer have fingerprints, that shit's hot).  Then I slice off the slides from the tomato's "core" and throw the sliced off parts into the pan with the onions, mushrooms, and garlic.  I dump in some spices and bring to a boil, then simmer for as long as my growling stomach can handle.  (It typically tastes better the next day, because it's had time to 'meld')

*Disclaimer:  I don't proclaim to make good food.  I make what I'll eat.  So there.  If you have more discriminating tastes, however, and want to try something with more pizzaz (I think I will as well), check out this linky from Nom Nom Paleo:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/49252507164/virginia-is-for-hunter-gatherers-spicy-tomato-basil#more

Anyhoo, so this morning for breakfast, I decided to really enjoy that 'melding'.

My breakfast for Day 5...

Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce
One sliced Applegate hot dog
Half an avocado (I've been lacking in good fats lately) which I squeezed half a lime over, and topped with Pico de Gallo


You see what I mean, don't you?  Eating like a pregnant lady with weird cravings.




No comments:

Post a Comment