Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Let's Try This Again

Yeah, that "I'm going to do another Whole30!" lasted about 5 days.  I really just set myself up for failure.  Justin wasn't fully into it, and he told me he was drinking sodas at work and then came home and had a beer.  So... I told him he might as well buy me a bottle of wine on the way home...

Yep.

I can't blame him.  It's not his fault, for sure!  I just have a very weak will power.  However, now that my shorts that were loose in March are really starting to tighten, and I'm spending so much money on my almost daily wine purchases...  Well, I've got to get myself back into gear.

I'm doing such great work with Crossfit, making gains.  Just this past Saturday, I moved up to B weight for power cleans.  It was damn heavy, power cleaning 85lbs instead of 65lbs, and I was completely exhausted right away in the workout, but that's what makes Crossfit different.

I didn't have to do it alone.

I had my teammates for the team WOD, pushing me, rooting me on, and depending on me to keep going, no matter how much I wanted to just stop and take a breather.  And then sit down.  And then pass out on the floor in front of a fan.

So anyhoo, I'm making some awesome gains in my workouts, and yet the scale continues to tick upward, and my clothes are tight again, and I see more flub than tight muscle.  Lordy, I know it's under there somewhere!  And dang it, I want to see it!

That being said, now is the time.  Summer should be the easiest time for me to do a Whole30, right?

So let's get on this thing!

Whole 9 Life posted this gem of an article the other day.  It's essentially the haves and the have nots of the Whole30, delving further into the psychosis of food ingredients.  The article itself is fine, whatevs; I never really struggled with finding the things I could/couldn't have.  I just allowed myself to mentally take a huge step away from those items I might even worry over.

The best part of this article are the comments at the bottom.  First off, the creators of this program must have the patience of angels.  It's hilarious :)  Secondly, though, the comments are very telling about how 'mental' we can get about food.  Why can't I have this?  Why do I have to substitute that?  Why is this still allowed?  I found that with the Whole30, I had to step away from food and look at it in a new light, as fuel for a healthier body.  I had to break the ideals of seeing food as rituals (cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, wine with dinner).  It's all in our heads.  We've taken foods and yes, turned them into social rituals.  These are hard habits to break, too.

And besides, it's just 30 days, right?  If you have to ask if it's Whole30 approved, just put it down :)

http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

No comments:

Post a Comment