Friday, January 4, 2013

Whole30: Day 1

Okay, so Justin and I have been doing this whole Crossfit business for the past - oh, say - six months?  It's really made a nice change in working out for us.  You work out with a huge class of people, and they blare the music, and everyone gets pumped up.  If you're any kind of competitive, it's a major boost to outdo your neighbor as well.  All of the workouts can be scaled, so it doesn't matter if you're weeny (like me) or strong.  It's great training for 5k's and marathons, without having to log so much running time.  In a nutshell, we love it:  www.crossfit540.com

This new year, many of our box (read: gym) buddies have decided to kick up their diet regimens and start on a Whole30 quest.  What is Whole30?  http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/  Read all about it :)

Most of them were already eating things that were mostly Paleo (what is this freakin' foreign language she's speaking?!)... http://thepaleodiet.com/

So starting off the year with the Whole30 seemed like a natural transition for them.  Justin and I decided to go along for the ride.  Let's just say, we were not prepared for the bumps to come!  Whole30 (and Paleo) makes you really dig down and think about what you're eating, what's in it, and how to prepare it.  It involves lots of grocery shopping, and lots of prep and cooking everything yourself.  For 30 days. For me, that's bone chillingly frightening.

Things You Can't Consume:

Sugar
Alcohol
Grains
Beans
Dairy

You also can't eat anything heavily processed, etc.  It's pretty intense, ladies and gentlemen...

I'm actually already starting Day 3 as I write this, but I'm going to play a little catch up, and show what I've been eating.  I haven't bought the book yet (only going off of blogs and guidelines), so there may be things in there that aren't strictly Paleo, but I'm trying, right?

First off, here's my grocery shopping I did for the week.  Total just squeaking in under $100 -


The potato chips and nestle morsels obviously were not part of the purchase, and are simply hanging out on the counter because I never made them into cookies...

Breakfast Day 1:
(Keep in mind, I have no stove at the moment, so everything is cooked outside - frigid - on a grill)
Scrambled eggs
Spinach and mushroom sauteed

Lunch Day 1:
Sliced Turkey breast
Carrots & Sliced Red Bell Pepper
An orange

Dinner Day 1:
Roast chicken thigh
Roasted carrots
Mashed Cauliflower


And because I had a lot of left over chicken (I anticipated this), earlier in the day, I also made my own homemade mayo, which I could use for chicken salad (you'll see soon enough) or for my own unique dipping sauces.  It's more white than the picture makes it out to be.




2 comments:

  1. You have been cooking outside?! That is REALLY paleo! I plan on making some mayo too--I want to do a curried chicken salad. :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a gas leak last night on the new stove, so until the plumber gets back out, it's back to the grill :( Let me know how your mayo goes!

      Delete