Friday, January 18, 2013

Whole30: Day 17

Spaghetti squash is the COOLEST thing EVER.

It's true.

All of these Paleo folks are saying spaghetti squash this, spaghetti squash that.  I thought it must just be squash they use some particular unknown and fancy kitchen tool with to obtain these results.

Nope.

Spaghetti squash is named because that's exactly what it is.  I followed NomnomPaleo's advice:  first I cut my squash in half (ok, Justin cut it; no easy feat).



Then I took one half, put it in a casserole dish, slathered some melted ghee on the inside, and placed it face down in the dish.  I covered it with a lid, leaving a gap for steam to escape.  10 minutes in the microwave, and it was done.  I waited a bit for it to cool enough to handle, grabbed my fork, and went to town!  Literally, it just shreds like spaghetti.  You just pull down the sides and then scoop it out.



Nuts, right?

And it makes an absolute ton.  In a separate set of dishes my little kitchen elves will spend cleaning and scrubbing later, I also made some tomato sauce (whole tomatoes, onions, garlic, italian spices, mushrooms, and organic tomato paste) and some meatballs.

The end result:


Yep.  I'm stinkin' full.  Justin is incredibly full.  We're both so full, neither of us is reaching for the fruit bowl (which has been an after dinner tradition throughout our Whole30).  There's something to be said about eating enough vegetables during a meal.  

On another awesome note, I weighed 136 today, and to top that, I fit into a pair of shorts that I haven't worn since we went to Wakarusa in 2011.  Of course, then I weighed more like 132.  So what's different now?  Crossfit has allowed my body to reshape itself and gain more muscle, so my 136 right now looks much more like 130 of my old body.  I also tried on my bridesmaid dress that I wore for Jacqueline's wedding last September, when we had just started Crossfit.  It was a size 8, and I barely squeezed into it then (it was really embarrassing).  Today, it was very loose!  

So what else did I eat today?  Obviously I enjoyed my dinner!

Breakfast:
Nuked egg scramble with Applegate chicken sausage and pico de gallo
Orange

Lunch:
Applegate hot dog
Bed of spinach
Guacamole
Pear

(I don't want to, but I should put this in here... Something from lunch made me sick - not sure what - but I was ill for the rest of the afternoon)

Dinner:
Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs

It's an off day for Crossfit, but man, something tells me if I had eaten spaghetti squash before a workout, I wouldn't feel wimpy AT ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment