Friday, January 4, 2013

Whole30: Day 3

Well, I'm really only mostly through Day 3, and I'm still surviving somehow.   I made a rather tasty breakfast for myself around 9, did some rescue work, and then around 11 showered and snagged another piece of my breakfast before heading out the door to try out Pilates class (my sister has been begging me to go for the last 2 years, so I finally figured I'd cave and try it out).  It was a lot of fun, and really a great workout, but afterwards, I could tell I'd need to eat again soon.

The biggest thing standing in the way of me and my food was the errands I needed to run.  So I headed to the book store to purchase a copy of "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.  20 minutes there, and they don't have any copies in store.  Sigh...  Then I hopped over to the mall to return all of my last minute frantic New Years Eve purchases that I didn't wear.  That was another hour.

Then I decided I really needed (yes, needed) some almond butter - never had it, assuming it's paleo, and going to grab some because I'm famished.  I knew Ozark Natural Foods would be the easiest place to find what I needed, so I picked up a nice jar for $8.  The only ingredient?  Almonds.  Can't get any better than that, Paleo gods.



I also picked up a bundle of kale, a bag of honey crisp apples (I could smell them all the way across the store... thinking of make apple cinnamon chips with them), some chicken/turkey sausage (with surprisingly very few ingredients - I was tickled) for $7, some bananas, and (drum roll) a Naked Coconut Water.  I was shaking by the time I finished shopping so I knew I needed something, anything quick.  The last (and first) time I had tried the coconut water was on a shopping trip with Kempto.  She had let me try a sip, but blegh!  It was like soggy dirt water to my taste buds.  Now, only 3 days in with no sugars in my diet other than fruit, it tasted like HEAVEN.  I'll have to see where I can purchase a whole case of the stuff.

On to my meals...

Breakfast Day 3:
Egg Frittata with sauteed mushrooms, onions, spinach, and red bell peppers (and my spice mix)



Breakfast was an easy affair.  And delicious, did I mention that?  So good, in fact, that I ate some more before my workout, and then, I finished off the rest for lunch.  Lunch... it was a pretty sad mishmash of anything I could grab quickly.  Word to the wise, don't wait til you're starving to try and eat well.  Doesn't work.

Lunch Day 3:
Ham
Honey Crisp Apple
1 Heaping Spoonful of Almond Butter
And the rest of the yummy frittata

Oh... and a banana.  Whoops.

Like I said, don't wait til you're starving...  It's not pretty.

Dinner Day 3:
Steak
Spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts
Steamed veggies
Sweet potato

(this was Justin's plate, btw; I had half of that steak size, and just a few bites of sweet potato after dinner to quell my cookie craving)



We're heading to my parents' house for dinner, so this will be our first meal eaten that I haven't been able to fully prepare in my kitchen where I know exactly what's going into it.  Shaking in my boots here.  May need to call my mom just to tell her not to marinate our steaks. (edit:  Mom left them with just seasoning.  Dad walked in, slathered them in A1, and took them to the grill - me, wailing and gnashing of teeth; Dad, unapologetic) lol

1 comment: